Really Good for you Chicken Soup


Fall is in the air so I made soup!  I had seen this recipe called "The Best Chicken Soup You'll Ever Eat" and I had to try it for myself.  The verdict, I loved this soup but I can't really say it was the best I've ever eaten.  What I will say is this soup is super flavorful and packed with healthy ingredients.  It will be my go-to soup when I'm feeling under the weather. With these anti-inflammatory, cold-fighting ingredients, ginger, turmeric, and garlic.  It also calls for fresh thyme and fresh rosemary, which I still have growing in my herb garden.  I love to use my fresh herbs when I can because I know soon the cooler weather will be here and they'll be done for.  I love soup season!
Ingredients:  avocado oil, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, ginger, turmeric, chicken broth, rotisserie chicken (not shown), rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, pearl couscous and peas
I did make a couple changes from the original recipe.  I used rotisserie chicken instead of chicken breast and cut down on the amount of couscous.  You can find the original recipe here, Ambitious Kitchen.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, stems removed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup pearl couscous (make sure it's pearl couscous, it's like tiny pasta)
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (I used about 1lb and saved the remainder for chicken salad)
2/3 cup frozen peas

Instructions
1. Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat and add in oil. Once the oil is hot, add in onion, carrots, and celery; cook for 5 minutes until onion becomes translucent.
2. Next, add in the minced garlic, grated ginger and stir for a minute.  Stir in the ground turmeric and saute for 30 seconds to let the spice cook a bit, then add in chicken broth, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring soup to a boil, then stir in couscous.  Reduce heat to medium and on a slow boil cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Add shredded chicken and frozen peas.  Heat for a few minutes to cook peas.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Enjoy!

                                                     <